Monday, December 10, 2007

A wild ride

Would you like a GPS?

That was the question that was asked when I was at the rental car counter. "No thanks", I said. I have always been good with maps and I actually knew the area. Remember this.

I took my two kids to California to meet up with Mom who was out there on business. We figured it would be a nice little get away and we can take the kids to all the parks in Southern California (We all had a great time BTW)

We left the rental car desk at Long Beach Airport about 9 PM headed towards Irvine. I figured it would take about 30 minutes or so. We had directions to the hotel, printed and in hand. 405 South to 133 East and then the 241 Toll Road North, or was it South?

As we motored down the California Freeway system I employed my 10 year old so to read me the directions. He did a great job. It was late (2 hour time difference), we had just got off a nearly 5 hour flight and the backseat was dark. He was such a trooper and a big help to me.

We got to the 241 Tollroad and as we approached, he read out to me 241 North. Check. Here we go!

No sooner do I pass the point of no return does he say, "No South!"

Too late. We are committed to 241 North, and no turn-around in sight. This toll road winds through the foothills of Orange County connecting Irvine with Mission Viejo. That equals a long ass detour. Since I was NOT familiar with this toll road, and there didn't appear to be any places to exit and get back on to correct our course, I was left to travel the entire stretch.

Did I mention it is a Toll Road? And it's an expensive one. I don't remember all the individual amounts, but the grand total was between $15 and $20. That and about 40 minutes later we arrived at the hotel.

That GPS would've been sweet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home